This one’s for the dogs! This dog treat is inexpensive, easy to make, nutritious and dogs love them. They are crunchy and chewy all at the same time, a little bit like a veggie rawhide. Speaking of veggie, they are also vegan. So if you are a vegetarian or vegan dog owner and you’ve shied away from making your own treats because it might involve meat or dairy–this is the doggo treat for you!
While making them couldn’t be simpler, it does take a little time. Make sure you’ll be home for several hours when you begin, unless you have a food dehydrator, in which case it doesn’t matter! I made these in the oven though, to show you how everyone can make them! I usually make them once a week, on a day when I’m cleaning up the house or lounging around at home.
Falling Day’s Healthy Dog Treats
- 2 large sweet potatoes
Yep, that’s it!
- Set the oven to 250F. You can go ahead and use convection if you have it.
- Prepare several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash, then evenly slice your sweet potatoes about 1/4″ thick.
- Place them on the cookie sheets. It doesn’t matter if they are in tight, or if some of them are leaning against the sides.
- Bake them in the oven on the middle racks for about 1 & 1/2 hours. Then turn them and bake them for another 1 & 1/2 hours.
- Now you’ll need to check on them every 1/2 or so and keep turning them around. You may already be pulling some out to cool, I find they are never all done at the same time.
- Store them in an airtight container.
You could add a little garlic or something (but don’t sprinkle them with salt, or use olive oil or anything like that). Personally, I find my dogs love them au natural and sometimes spices can upset their stomachs.